How to Wear Disposable Gloves and PPE (CDC Guidelines)
The type of PPE used will vary based on the level of precautions required, such as standard and contact, droplet or
airborne infection isolation precautions. The procedure for putting on and removing PPE should be tailored to the specific
type of PPE.
SEQUENCE FOR PUTTING ON PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE) as Recommended by the CDC
- Masks or Respirators
- Goggles or Face Shields
Here is one example for donning and doffing gloves:
Donning or Adding Gloves
- Extend to cover wrist of isolation gown.
Doffing or Removing Gloves
- Outside of gloves are contaminated!
- If your hands get contaminated during glove removal, immediately wash your hands or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Using a gloved hand, grasp the palm area of the other gloved hand and peel off first glove Hold removed glove in gloved hand.
- Slide fingers of ungloved hand under remaining glove at wrist and peel off second glove over first glove.
- Discard gloves in a waste container.